5 Ways to Tell If Your Teen is the Perfect Candidate for Ortho-K Lenses
Teenagers are at a crucial stage in which expectations are higher than ever. From the first day of high school, there are dozens of things to worry about. Your teenager shouldn’t have to add vision troubles to their long list of things to think about.
Ortho-K lenses are an incredible way to help your child experience clear vision so they can make the most of the best years of their lives. Read on to learn everything you need about Ortho-K lenses for your teenager.
What Are Ortho-K Lenses?
Ortho-K lenses are rigid, gas-permeable lenses that allow oxygen to pass through freely. These lenses are inflexible, unlike regular soft contact lenses that are worn daily. The function of orthokeratology lenses is to gently reshape the cornea (the clear dome of the eye) overnight while the wearer sleeps.
Reshaping may sound uncomfortable, but they shouldn’t experience any irritation after a couple of wears. In the mornings, they can remove the lenses and enjoy a day of clear vision before sleeping with them again to retain the cornea’s new shape.
Is Ortho-K Right for My Teenager?
Orthokeratology (Ortho-K) lenses present a unique and effective solution for vision correction, particularly well-suited for teenagers. These specialized lenses are worn overnight to gently reshape the cornea, offering clear vision during the day without the need for glasses or contact lenses. This innovative approach to eye care provides several benefits, making it an attractive option for young individuals. Here are five key reasons why Ortho-K lenses might be the right choice for a teenager
- Active Lifestyle: Ortho-K lenses are ideal for teenagers engaged in sports or outdoor activities, as they eliminate the need for wearing glasses or contact lenses during the day.
- Reversible and Non-Invasive: Unlike surgical options, Ortho-K lenses are a non-invasive solution to correct vision. Their effects are reversible, making them a safer choice for a teenager’s developing eyes.
- Control Myopia Progression: Studies have shown that Ortho-K lenses can help in preventing the progression of myopia (nearsightedness), which is particularly beneficial for teenagers whose eyesight is still changing.
- Convenience and Comfort: Wearing Ortho-K lenses overnight can be more convenient for teenagers, freeing them from the hassles of wearing glasses or contacts during the day and reducing concerns about lost or damaged lenses.
- Improved Self-Esteem: For teenagers conscious about their appearance with glasses, Ortho-K lenses offer a glasses-free day, potentially boosting their self-esteem and confidence.
Are Ortho-K Lenses Safe for Teenagers?
Teenagers are in one of the most complicated and crucial developmental stages of growing up. Bullying, insecurities, and extra-curricular activities can make wearing glasses more of an inconvenience to a teenager. This often leads to them not wearing their glasses and avoiding physical activity while they quietly struggle with poor vision.
The most significant risks with Ortho-K lenses are associated with improper lens care. It’s essential that you both follow the care instructions given by your eye care specialist. Never clean the lenses with water; this is a sure way to get an infection. Remind your teen to always wash their hands before handling the lenses or touching their eyes.
Ortho-K lenses are a safe way for teenagers to manage their vision at home with your guidance so they can participate in their favorite activities without fear. With proper attention and checkups, Ortho-K lenses are one of the safest ways to correct poor vision.
The Process of Fitting Your Teenager with Ortho-K Lenses
Orthokeratology lenses are a highly effective way of correcting vision without an invasive procedure and painful recovery. This means your teen shouldn’t be apprehensive about the lens fitting process. At their first appointment, one of our specialists will map the topography of your child’s corneas to determine their suitability for ortho-k lenses.
First, a specialist will fit your child with a set of lenses that shape the eyes into the desired curve. After achieving this optimal curve, your teen will be moved onto retainer lenses to maintain the shape. Commonly, new patients need a series of Ortho-K lenses to reach the ideal prescription. The technology is precise, so minor corrections may be necessary to find the perfect fit.
After your teen’s first night of wear, you will come back in for another eye assessment to ensure the eyes are responding as they should. While it can take a few weeks to experience the full benefits, many patients report significant improvement within a couple of days.