Summer Eye Care Tips
It’s official: summer has arrived and it’s time to protect your eyes from the sun and other warm weather dangers.
Here are some pointers on remaining safe in the sun:
- Make sure your glasses offer 100% protection from UV rays. If your shades don’t guard against 100% of UV rays, they may be resulting in more harm than benefit. Don’t worry, 100% UV blockage doesn’t mean a higher price – many more affordable options give full UV defense.
- Sport shades that provide more coverage. When selecting shades, the larger the better. When possible, select sunglasses with wraparound frames and wide lenses.
- Wear a broad protective hat or visor. A wide brimmed hat will provide an extra layer of defense before the sun reaches your eyes.
- Sport sunglasses on overcast days. Even when the sun is behind the clouds, harmful UV light is still able to penetrate the clouds and harm your eyes. Don’t be fooled by a cloudy day.
- Keep an emergency pair. You never know when your glasses will get lost or broken. Better to be safe than sorry.
- Keep hydrated. Consuming a minimum of 8 cups of water each day will not only prevent dehydration and dry skin but it will ensure your eyes are hydrated as well.
- Avoid midday sun. Stay inside when possible particularly between the hours of 11 am and 3 pm when the power of the sun and UV in the atmosphere are at a peak.
- Consider polarized lenses. Since they reduce glare from reflective surfaces, polarized lenses are great for water-based activities and driving.
- When participating in outdoor sports or activities such as boating, sitting by a campfire or hiking, make sure you wear proper eye protection to avoid eye injuries.
- Make sure you don’t apply sunscreen too close to the eyes or eyelids as it can enter the eye and burn.
Book you eye exam today:
Call us at (305)814-2299 or click HERE!
Our office is located at :
14711 Biscayne Boulevard
North Miami, FL 33181