Blepharitis/Dry Eye Home Treatment
Blepharitis is the chronic inflammation of the eyelid margin. There are many small openings of the lid margin which produce lubricating oil. When these glands become clogged, the result is inflamed eyelids and/or irritated, dry eyes. Common symptoms include dryness, burning, itching, fatigue, redness, and sensitivity to lights.
Just as we floss and brush our teeth daily, getting in the habit of a daily dry eye routine will help reduce and prevent symptoms of dry eye. A device assisted deep eyelid cleaning treatment is also available at WCLI for the maintenance of blepharitis and controlling your dry eye symptoms.
WARM COMPRESSES (1-2 times a day)
- Wash your hands.
- Heat up a clean, wet washcloth or recommended eye mask in the microwave for approximately 20 secs. Recommended mask: Bruder Moist Heat Eye Mask
- Hold it over your closed lids until it cools.
- Repeat until you have had a warm compress over your lids for at least 10 minutes.
CLEAN LIDS 2 times a day
- Optase lid wipes or foaming eyelid cleanser can be used to clean the base of your lashes in the morning and at night. This will help remove the irritating excess oil, debris, and pollen off your lashes.
- Hyclear HypoChlor Spray is a good alternative for advanced dry eye. Use this product 1-2 times a week and standard Optase lid wipes all other days.
* For foams or sprays: Apply to a cotton pad or to your finger and gently rub the base of your lashes, top, and bottom.
Artificial tears will often help relieve eye irritation associated with blepharitis. Artificial tears are used to lubricate the eyes. you can try:
- Optase Tears
- Refresh Optive Advanced Preservative Free
- Oasis Tears Preservative Free
Meibomian gland dysfunction
- Retaine Preservative Free
- Recommendation: Re-esterified triglyceride form (purified form and easier for your body to absorb).
- Between 2,000-3,000 mg of OMEGA 3 EPA & DHA (<–important fatty acids, not all omega 3 supplements contain high ratios of these) supplements, daily.
Brands: PRN Dry Eye Omega Benefits